Friday, November 12, 2010

WHY TORRE IS A CLASS ACT

Joe Torre is a class act and the people he surrounds himself with are even classier. Last night's Joe Torre Gala is today's talk of the town. The stars were gracious, and the cause was and is courageous. The Safe at Home Foundation and Margaret's Place is headed up by Joe and Ali Torre and is about helping abused children and letting them know that they have someone to talk to. No child, or adult who's abused or has witnessed abuse is not alone. Bravo to the Torre family for such a terrific event.


Derek Jeter was honored last night for being a leader and positive role model for children. Damn, what can I say about this guy, he's the man. Even if you wanted to dislike him, you really can't, his date last night was his grandmother. That alone just got him 1OOO more fans.

Garth Brooks and Bernie Williams performed, Lorraine Bracco, James Lipton, Bobby Valentine, Todd Zeile and Brian Cashman were also there. Cash was literally on his phone all night.

I get it Cash, go get Lee. Lee Mazzilli was there. Love that dude. Suzyn Waldman was there but I never found her. Goodness Gracious . I did see John Sterling and for a brief moment, it was funny, he stood up and looked around and I think right at that instant he had no idea where he was. Then it registered and he walked out of the room briefly.

I met Mariano, Al Leiter, O'Neill, John Franco and Matsui. All standup guys. Godzilla even signed a ball for my kid.

Jeter made a few jokes about his contract and it got huge applause. Matsui suggested Jeet and Mariano and he go to play in Japan because they were all Free Agents. He killed. Funny stuff.

So, why am I telling you this? Because sometimes you just have to sit back and take it all in. I looked around the room and I saw grown men and women standing around tables watching the celebrities eating, me included. It was like being in a zoo. We all waited for the moment when the plate was clean and the pictures could start again and let me say this, it was probably very annoying for them, but all of them, every single celebrity there couldn't have been more patient and gracious to their fans. Classy. I watched Jeter look at Torre at their table trying to talk, but the crush of people was just too great. Occasionally, they would stop, sign a few things, shake a few hands and take a few pictures and the whole time I'm watching in awe thinking "What a balancing act". I was impressed. I AM impressed. I've met Jeter once in my life, Torre 4 times. I find them both to be truly remarkable people. Both have foundations, both give back, both live in a fish bowl but maintain their cool, focus on their life, but balance it with putting a smile on a fan's face once in a while.

Finally, I need to mention this for my Mets friend Dan. I have never been a Mets fan, and over the years, I've managed to like individual players in the Mets organization rather then the club as a whole. If you've ever thought it was impossible to hang out with a celebrity like a "regular" person, you've never hung out with Todd Zeile, Al Leiter and John Franco. Three of the most regular dudes around. I was impressed. Leiter talks to you like the two of you went to high school together. Its kind of comforting.

A salute to the Torre Family. The Safe at Home Foundation is a terrific charity. Bravo to you Joe and Ali. Well done.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017