Tuesday, December 14, 2010

WHY ANDY MAY HANG IT UP

For my Bleeding Yankee Blue readers, you going to love this one. Ken Davidoff from Newsday wrote a piece called The Cliff Lee aftermath, Andy Pettitte, Russell Martin and Hideki Matsui. In it, which can be found in his Baseball Insider section, he wrote this about Andy Pettitte:

"Someone who spoke with Andy Pettitte last week said that the lefty told him this: If the Yankees get Lee, then he would come back. If not, then he would stay home.

That essentially matches what Joel Sherman reported last week. Now we'll see if Pettitte actually means that. It won't be easy for someone so accomplished, someone still so good, to step away."

Now look, I'm new at this blogging stuff. I rarely toot my own horn, but I've been writing about how a guy like Andy Pettitte, who is sitting at home in Texas with family crawling all over him has a very very good shot at retiring. I've written it at least 5 times and I will list them. I have clearly stated that Andy Pettitte knows that if Cliff Lee comes to the Yankees, they have an excellent shot of winning the Championship in 2011 and Andy WILL be back. I also said that if the Yanks didn't sign Lee, Andy, sadly, would probably NOT come back.

Read them:

WHY WE NEED PETTITTE- November 11, 2010

WHY THERE'S A TEXAS TWO STEP- November 12, 2010

WHY THERE ARE MANY FACTORS- December 7, 2010

WHY IT'S A WAITING GAME FOR ANDY- December 9, 2010

WHY THERE'S NO JOY IN MUDVILLE- December 14, 2010

Now, I'm no brain surgeon, this is based on my gut, that's it. It's not investigative reporting. But let's face it, I'm a blogger, I'm not a reporter and if I can't get the info, I simply need to think about it. To me, it's common sense, and yes it's true, Joel Sherman may have talked to a friend of a friend of Andy Pettitte who stated that he may retire if the Yankees don't let Lee, but I predicted it, IF of course, it's true.

Doesn't it make sense if your Andy? Look, I pray Andy Pettitte returns. But we all see the writing on the wall, including Andy. It will take a few extra bucks and a lot of convincing from Jeter, Mo and Posada that 2011 is the last hurrah for the Core Four to be together and win a sixth ring, but Andy knows he's not the same pitcher. Yes, he was 11-3 in 2010, but he was hurt for quite a bit during the year and he was hurting in the playoffs and someone like Andy knows, when injury starts kicking in at his age and the healing takes longer, it may be time to hang it up.

Sadly, I picture Andy Pettitte on his farm raking hay, talking about the good ol' days. And sadly, I see the 2011 Yankees pitching rotation consisting of one Ace named CC, 1 kid named Phil and a lanky dude named AJ who has some issues that no one can figure out. I don't care if Brian Cashman says the Yankees "don't have holes"... They do. If they really wanted to make Joba a starter, they should have stretched him out last year instead of jerking the poor kid around. And Ivan Nova? Look, I know a lot of people like this kid, but have you seen what he does when runners are on base? He gives up runs, that's what he does. He can't handle the pressure. He freaks out, he becomes nervous, he's not settled. I don't want that on my mound. I want confidence and experience. I want Pettitte.

So what's my point besides being obnoxious and predicting Andy's possible demise? Nothing. I just wanted some props. Bottom line? Andy needs to come back and I hope my prediction is wrong.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017