Friday, January 28, 2011

THE MORE THE MERRIER

"My preference is to be with the New York Yankees, and it's not unreasonable to have that in mind, because I've demonstrated that I can be useful. A team like New York would be ideal for my age, [as would] playing in a successful, media-heavy, demanding division. Without doubt it would be an inspiration."
-- Freddy Garcia


I've always liked Freddy Garcia and he's saying all the right things. The question is, does he still got it. If I had to line up Colon and Garcia up and had to choose 1, it would in fact be Freddy. At this point though, there is a lot going on and I am not sure he's in the cards. Then again, who really thought they would sign Colon? Here's what's going down:


  • The Yankees have made a formal offer to Andy Pettitte for 1 year, 12 million. Andy's working out. Things may be coming to an end in the Andy Saga very soon. Reports are the Yankees are "optimistic" about a return.

  • The Yankees are confident and pleased enough with their gang of minor league arms that having them all compete for a rotation spot may in fact be in the cards. Andrew Brackman,Hector Noesi, David Phelps and others all have what it takes, the question is, can they impress enough to get the call.

  • Bartolo Colon, Sergio Mitre and Ivan Nova will most likely also compete for a rotation spot, or at least, that's what was discussed yesterday.

  • Justin Duchscherer and Jeremy Bonderman are both still on the Yankees radar. If I had to pick, I'd pick "The Duke", this decision would be based on age and his wanting and willing to start for the New York Yankees. He recently said this: “For me it’s black and white. I want to start, that’s the whole mindset I have... I find it funny that people say I can’t pitch in that environment, but I’ve pitched in New York before..." Like Garcia, Justin's actively whoring himself out for a job opportunity and to tell you the truth, I have no problem with it. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and if you can put your money where your mouth is and prove to everyone you truly are back, I say confidence is half the battle. As far as Bonderman is concerned, I don't care for him strictly because this guy talked about retiring last summer. If I'm the Yankees, I don't want a guy whose head's not in the game. You know?

  • Bronx Baseball Daily also had this nugget from Buster Olney about the Yanks continually going back to look at Fausto Carmona. Interesting to check out. Read it HERE.

A lot of names, good problems though. Wow, this is the first time all winter I've felt decent about the Yankees pitching options. Are things turning around in the Bronx? Let's hope so. Day 89 Andy... Where are you?

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017