Tuesday, January 25, 2011

WHY BRETT MATTERS


I've always loved speed. Growing up, Rickey Henderson was my idol. I made sure I ran like him throughout my little league and high school career. I led off, bunted, stole second, stole third and scored a crap load of runs. I also scared the crap out of the pitchers. Little me. Why? Because I could. Because I learned from the best. That's it. That's my career.

Why am I telling you this? Because I love Brett Gardner, that's why. He's the spark plug that gets the team moving. So, in my opinion, there's no reason why he shouldn't be the Yankees leadoff hitter in 2011 and beyond. He gets on, we hit him home. It just makes sense.

Gardner is a guy that many Yankee fans can't get on board with. We're known as the Bronx Bombers. Brett doesn't hit bombs. People want that immediate gratifcation of a home run and all he has is speed. Well, to put it simply, that speed's a good problem.

Even in the field he's solid. That speed has gotten him some pretty tough flies. What's my favorite catch? The World Series. Philadelpiha. 2009. I still remeber that terd Joe Buck's voice shouting "What a catch by Gardner!" To me? That was something outfielders dream about but their body won't let them do. But for Gardy, it's all about the wheels, and I love it.
My opinion, if Brett can stay healthy, hit leadoff, and show a hunger to get that extra base, I see no reason why he won't be a Yankee a long long time.

So what can we expect from Gardy in 2011. Well, last year his average went up a bit. .277 Average. The stolen bases happened more... he went from26 in 2009 to 47 in 2010. The runs did as well, up to 97 in 2010. I would suggest something similar in average in 2011 but expect more walks and definitely more running. Look, small ball may not exactly be the "Yankee Way" anymore, but it's a solid way to get ahead in ball games and it can be lethal weapon especially late in the season where we have must win games.

So this post is my salute to you Gardy. We're expecting a lot from you this year, and I know you'll do great. Just get on base, stay alert and lean right... That's your right, not mine.

Please comment and let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017