Wednesday, January 25, 2012

NOW DETROIT HAS A BAD CONTRACT TOO

I see what the Detroit Tigers did yesterday and I admire it. They went out and bought a big bat for the “now.” With Prince Fielder and Miguel Cabrera and a terrific pitching staff, the Tigers want to win in 2012, and 2013…without a doubt. Look, I love it, it’s the way the Yankees did it back when the Boss was alive. I’ve always liked the winning now mentality. Probably because I’m a New Yorker and I have no patience. Probably because I’m a Yankee fan and want to win every season. People have always criticized the Yankees for “buying” championships, yet, the Angels and Tigers and to an extent, the Miami Marlins are working hard to build their winning teams too. I’m not criticizing the spending. I’m criticizing the lack of criticism against these teams for doing the same thing the Yankees used to do.

And think about this; where are all the baseball "analysts" that constantly complained that the Yankees made a huge mistake signing Alex Rodriguez to a “bad” contract of 10 years and $275 million? I would love to see where those “analysts” are now that Detroit did the exact same thing today. Sure, the contract for Prince Fielder is 9 years, $214 million bucks, but if you consider the fact that Prince Fielder is overweight and will probably be a full time Designated hitter by the time his 5th year rolls around, it balances out. Alex is in terrific shape and the money was more for him because of his numbers and health, but factor in his injuries too. Do that and in the end, these contract are almost identical. You can read the full story about Fielder's contract HERE.

The point is there will be radio silence about this signing from the "bad contract" perspective...because it's not the Yankees. For now, it’s a big celebration for Motown, and yes, I agree, the Tigers’ fans need to be psyched… I would be. I love Fielder, but the point is I would have never signed him past 5 years because there is no way a body like Fielder’s keeps going the way he’s going now for the next 9 season. Sure, I could be wrong, but it’s just my opinion.

So, we can give it a few days and see if the criticism starts, but I doubt it. Honestly though, I’d really love to find those baseball “analysts”? Anyone out there? Anyone at all? …Silence… Oh yeah that’s right, they’re not the Yankees…. Got it.

Please comment, we have DISQUS, it's easier than ever. Let me know what you think and follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and look for the hashtag #BYB. Also, join the group Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook, just type it in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017