Sunday, March 30, 2014

IT'S SPRING & IT'S FINALLY BASEBALL SEASON.


It’s been a brutal winter in the Northeast. I don’t remember it ever being this bad.  You know it’s bad when my kids say they’re “sick of the snow.”  Remember when kids loved snow? That’s changed a bit in my house lately.

To pretend we’re on vacation and keep our sanity, my wife and I will put on music to keep us happy.  After all, it's too cold to go out and no one wants to... so we have a dance party in my house.  Some families dress up like Teenage Ninja Turtles and have battles with their kids... you know who you are. We like to party. We dance, we laugh and we pray for the warmer weather. Hawaiian music is a staple in my house. Happy by Pharrell Williams plays on a loop because it's such a great song. Very positive, very fun to listen to.  Another song is by Elvis Crespo. It's Suavemente.



We don’t speak Spanish, I'm Italian and my wife is Irish and Scottish, but our kids are exposed to everything because the music takes us to different places.  These days, it’s taking us to warm weather and spring. These songs get us in the mood for the warmer weather, the love of happiness and the game of baseball.

Baseball officially started all around the country.  My little guys see me coming in and out of the garage during the week lugging buckets full of baseballs and bats and my Yankee cap is always on.  In fact, early on Saturday, one of my little guys woke me up to give me a lego character... of me.

 "This is you dad. You're a coach", he said as he handed to me. My eyes were still crusted together. I think it was 7am.  I looked at it and smiled. "Give me a kiss", I said.

"Put it on your dressa" he said, and left my room humming. I guess they know me well.  I guess they know it's baseball season and their old man lives for this time of year.

In the Northeast, we’re still practicing in gymnasiums.  Now, the truth is, you can’t play baseball in a gym… that’s all I’m going to say about that.  Baseball is an outdoor sport. The grass, the dirt, the crack of the bat all work well together with the great game of baseball.  Not the echo of a “thud” from a hard baseball on a waxed wood floor.  It just doesn’t work that way.

For years, the start of the Yankees Spring Training meant that the weather would break and so I looked forward to it.  Not so fast if you live in New York this year.  We’ve literally got our asses kicked this past winter.  Many tried to stay positive and focused. But many of us felt like it would never end.  Now… the last few weekends, it's milder, finally. There is the light at the end of the "Winter Vortex" tunnel.  When the weather finally breaks, baseball resumes outside where it belongs.  As coaches, as parents, no doubt we’ll get the kids ready to play.  I like to bring out a radio, put on every song I could remember from my own upbringing, just to see the reactions of the kids while getting them pumped.



Lunatic Fringe. Eye of the Tiger.  Songs that when we were kids would have me running through a brick wall.  They were inspirational and uplifting.  The kids these days will look at me and say, “What’s this song?” My response… "Ask your parents."  That same kid will come back the next week and ask eagerly… “Can you play that Eye Tiger song?” Boom… I got him.

Here are some tips for all you parents and coaches… it’s an approach that I have used for many years now;

Look the kids in the eye when you’re explaining something about baseball.  Don’t yell, that does nothing but piss everyone off. Plus, the kid is less inclined to play hard for you if you do.  At 12 or 13 years old, the kids know the game and what is expected of them. So enforce it, but don’t preach it.  If they're 6 or 7 years old… take your time. They have a lot of learning to do.  If they're 10 or 11, they need to believe that anything is possible, and it’s your job to help them do that.  Make them understand that without them, well, maybe the team doesn’t have a shot. With them, they do.  Explain good sportsmanship, the rally, that practice is important and that sleep and nutrition matter… and yes, they’re allowed to have an Oreo or Doritos once in a while, because, well, they’re kids.  But remind them that it’s not a good diet.   Don’t say, “When I was your age...”, because, they don’t care. Instead say, “Try this,” or “ Put the mitt low”, or “throw over the top.”  And at the end or practice, let them know you appreciate them working for you.

Being a coach, being a teacher or a parent isn’t about you… it’s about them.  So make those kids feel like they are the most important player on the field, collectively.  If you do that… they will always want to play this great game of baseball… and they’ll never forget all you teach.

Be a leader… be a mentor. Teach, don’t preach.  It’s spring… it’s baseball season… thank God.

Play Ball... and Go Yanks!

You've made BYB the fastest growing Yankees fan site in history. Now shop at the Bleeding Yankee Blue store!  Follow me on Twitter @BleednYankeeBlu and LIKE Bleeding Yankee Blue on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017