Saturday, April 29, 2017

THE GREATEST YANKEE WIN I'VE EVER SEEN!

(April 27, 2017 - Source: Adam Hunger/Getty Images North America)    
"The Yanks are getting spanked right now!" 

My buddy yelled to me as we were getting into our cars last night.  We just finished my kid's rec game, and I just figured it was one of the rare losses of the season. 

"It happens", I said as I turned the key.  At that moment it was 9-1, but when we got home I suggested we run the Applebee's, we get some chow and unwind. 

"Dad, it's 9-4!", my kid said from the backseat.  He perked up.  This is a kid that lives and dies by baseball stats and highlights from his phone.  It reminds me of the days I went all over the place with my binder full of baseball cards.  When you love the game, you just can't get enough of it.



We got to Applebee's and we sat down. I ordered the Watermelon Sangria.

I'm not afraid to admit that. I may even have had 2... I'm crazy like that.  We ate, and my kid's face was now stuck to the TV right next to our table.

April 27, 2017 - Source: Adam Hunger/Getty Images North America
All of the sudden, it was 11-8 and Applebee's must of been full of Yankee fans, because the place got excited.  My kid wasn't even talking to us at this point. I should have taken a picture because the emotions on his face were priceless.  When Jacoby Ellsbury hit a grand slam, there was applause, not from just my table, but from many. You see, this Yankee team is something special. You can't quite put your finger on it, but you know what I mean, because it's never about one guy.  One night it could be Ronald Torreyes...

Photo: Getty Images
Another it's Aaron Judge and Aroldis Chapman.  Maybe CC Sabathia, or Luis Severino.  Other times, it's Starlin Castro... or anyone else.  The team is unique, because there is a true blend of young and old, all consumed with turning this franchise around.  And now... us Yankee fans have bought into it more than we ever have before.  In that Applebee's last night... it was quite evident.

And then Castro comes to the plate, and a thunderous "WOOO!!!" from all the tables in the joint!

"Oh my god! He tied it! HE TIED IT!"

Photo: Getty Images
My kid could no longer contain himself! This was a big deal! How do you come back from a deficit like that? Well... they did, and now it was a new ballgame.

I asked for the check.

"I can't leave dad! I need to see this!"

I looked at my wife.  We were already exhausted from the week. But when you see a smile and request like that... you cave... and so we did. 

We made Applebee's our living room for the next very minutes.  We relaxed... we watched our Yankees. We watched our 14 year old loving every minute of it.

(April 27, 2017 - Source: Adam Hunger/Getty Images North America)
In the Bottom of the 10th inning, it was Matt Holliday crushing a 3 run homer. The place went nuts! It was the most incredible thing I've seen from the Yankees in a long, long time! And the celebration was on! Not only in the Bronx, but in my small town late last night from not only my family... but from all the folks in that restaurant. I think I high-fived the waiter... I can't be sure. 

(April 27, 2017 - Source: Adam Hunger/Getty Images North America)
And like clockwork, from over 10,000 miles away and to top off my night, my phone buzzed.

Australia was calling.  My brother from another mother, Joey Moses sent me this text.


And all was right in the world.

If anyone doesn't understand what it's like to be a true Yankee fan... they never will.  Because the thrill is unbelievable when they win big... and the bond between fans is like no other. Joey and I are an example of that.

Yankees win BIG, folks.  It reminds me of the late 90's!

Be excited, because this team is something special.

Final: Yankees 14 - Orioles 11


BYB Stack Merchandise (2017)


http://shrsl.com/?hb1w


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017