Tuesday, April 17, 2018

WHAT IS WRONG WITH BETANCES?

April 2, 2018 - Source: Elsa/Getty Images North America
I was just thinking about that Tigers series.  I don't understand what's going on with Dellin Betances.

Through the first seven innings, of Game 1 against the Tigers, there were moments of hope and excitement. Starting with Aaron Hicks and that great inside-the-park home run and ending, with a good pitching performance by Jordan Montgomery. Then came the 8th inning when everything went awry, leaving us fans with feelings of uncertainty and worry. Enter Dellin Betances.

Source: Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images North America
The question... What is wrong with Dellin Betances? has been asked many times as of late, including here. As shown in this piece from NJ.com, neither himself or manager Aaron Boone seem to think anything is wrong.

"Betances: 'This is the best I've felt in a while. Both (my fastball and curveball) I felt real good with and they just found holes with everything. The first guy got me good, but after that everything I threw was just hit. Even if I picked up the rosin (bag) and threw it, it was going to get hit. It was just one of those days. But I've got to continue to stay positive. Like I said, I haven't felt like this good in a while. I like how I felt stuff wise, but they just had good hits.'

Photo: Getty Images
Boone: 'The good thing is I think he's in a (good) place with his delivery and he's throwing strikes. His pitches are crisp. You get in an 8-3 situation there and he's just trying to pound a fastball and Candelario jumps him. It's kind of the same thing that happened in Toronto. Then all of a sudden, you're pitching with a lead and a couple guys string hits together. I know the result wasn't great for him, but I do feel like he's very close to where we need to him to be and we'll continue to put him out there because I think he's in a good place with his delivery. Even though it wasn't good, I think we'll get there.'"

The best he has felt, really?

Photo: Getty Images
I know this...I don't feel the best when he enters a game. Look, I hate to write negative pieces, but  sometimes these pieces need to be written. That's what BYB does, we're honest. Answers need to be given other than these nonchalant answers that are put out there. It may be early in the season, but I hope they are given soon. I'm tired of having to take a Xanax every time he's called to come in.



--Michael Carnesi
BYB Junior Writer
Twitter: @sevn4evr






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Bleeding Yankee Blue.

20% Off at SteinerSports.com with code YANKEEBLUE2017